Ahh, glorious, glorious weekend. I’m excited because I have absolutely no plans…don’t you kind of love that? I am, however, planning to make it a point to go downtown and get ice cream rolls (a lofty goal), because I’ve been wanting to try 10 Below pretty much since it opened. It’s supposed to be really hot too, definite ice cream weather…guess fall hasn’t arrived yet!
Thanks everyone for your comments on this post – it was really great to hear your thoughts on the topic of saving and it seems like something that we’re all – I don’t want to say struggling with, but how about, grappling with. Would you be interested in more posts about money, spending, and saving? If you have any specific questions or things you’d like to see on that topic, let me know in the comments!
What I did this week:
-Worked a bunch of day shifts, which = tired. My body just does not want to not be a night owl.
-Went on an Okcupid date…sheesh. Dating. That’s a whole post in and of itself but I can hardly even begin to organize my thoughts on the topic.
-Embarked on rearranging my apartment a bit…it’s a work in progress but it feels really good to start changing some things up!
-Worked on the blog a lot. Not sure if anyone’s noticed that I’m posting more (5x/week), but I have to say, it’s not super easy along with a full-time job. Not complaining at all – I absolutely love blogging – just saying this is pretty all-consuming right now. I’m doing a lot behind the scenes in an effort to improve, expand, and promote the blog as much as possible, because basically there’s nothing I enjoy more than working on this space, and I want to make it the best it can possibly be. Which, by the way, involves expending so, so much money (unfortunately), and time. Anyway, full posts on these topics coming soon…some behind-the-scenes, how I make money from the blog, how I spend money on the blog, and also my thoughts on trying to balance it all. I hope this is something that interests you guys!
Now for some weekend reading:
- If you’re a fan of geometric shapes and modern art, check out Carly Berlin Studio. Carly creates pen and ink drawings that are unique and finely detailed – and you can follow her on Instagram to get a peek at her creative process. Seriously, you have to check out this little video of her drawing – so cool.
- Have you ever heard of The Barbizon Hotel? It was a hotel in NYC from 1927 to the 1980’s that served as a sort of respectable home for girls who were trying to forge careers in modeling, writing, editing, acting, and other professions. I first heard about it when I read Pain, Parties, Work, about Sylvia Plath’s summer at the Barbizon in 1953. A new novel called The Dollhouse follows one young woman during her summer at the Barbizon and traces the consequences of an incident that occurs during that time…it sounds really good and you can read more about it here.
- I hate to admit it, but this article Against Borrowing Books totally made me laugh and is totally me…my sister can attest to this fact. It’s not my fault – nobody returns the books they “borrow!”
- You guys know how much I love visiting Roxy at 73 Spring Street. Besides the fun of getting to see Roxy herself (who is the sweetest), there’s the fun of seeing how they switch up the space, and especially the entryway, using Inslee designed (or hand-painted) wallpaper, and Society Social accessories and furniture. I’m so glad she rounded up four of her Spring Street entryways so you guys can see them too! Each one is better than the last, I can’t even pick a favorite.
- LOVED seeing a peek into J. Crew’s Color Library…colors, give me all the colors! Reminded me of the swatches that Isaac Mizrahi collects.
- I’ve been thinking (sort of) about changing the light fixtures in my apartment…this is an absolutely gorgeous option.
- Could this be the perfect jacket for my trip to London in October? I’m thinking so!
- I’ve always wanted a long-ish pleated skirt, and this one is so pretty…with heeled booties for fall? Adorable.
- I literally started using VSCO presets to edit my blog photos about three weeks ago (why the hell it took me so long, I have no idea), so I was glad to see this post to learn a little more about speeding up your workflow while using them. I bought o1 and o5…do any of you guys use them? They’re pretty amazing!
- Penguin sent me a copy of this soon-to-be-released book and I’m really enjoying it so far. Comes out September 20th!
- Loved Erin’s post on Kate Spade’s furniture and fabrics…I’m fully obsessed with this bookish wallpaper and this pink and black spotted fabric (soooo good!).