Soooo happy for the long weekend! It looks like it’s supposed to be a bit gloomy so I’m looking forward to staying in the city, getting some work done, and hopefully relaxing and finishing my book. Truth be told, I had kind of an exhausting week so I wish I could just relax and do nothing, but I have work to do for my design course and also two big blog projects to get done, not to mention regular life stuff like cleaning out my closet which still has not happened…and buying groceries because the other day I literally ate a spoonful of peanut butter for lunch due to lack of options/time. But, I choose to blog and chose to do my design course so I shouldn’t complain! I’m just feeling a little overwhelmed lately. Do you ever feel that way…kind of stretched too thin but you chose the circumstances so it’s a weird conflict in your brain?
Anyway enough babbling. Onto fun links!
- Some tips for starting a conversation with anyone (without sounding lame). I need to keep this article in my figurative back pocket. I’ve always been pretty terrible at “making” conversation (unless I hit it off with someone), and I’ve sometimes contemplated how different (easier) my life would be if I were one of those people who has no problem just chatting it up with anyone and everyone.
- This might be TMI, but I’m sure some of you can relate: sweat. So annoying – actually the bane of my existence. When I’m working out (which is like, once a year), it’s all good. When I’m dressed up in a nice blouse or dress and I have to keep my arms clamped down because #pitstains, not good. Oh especially when I’m wearing a white top and definitely ruining it. So this Kickstarter is pretty intriguing..what do you think? Would you try them?
- So excited – I found a new book website and podcast that I love! I listened to the Erik Larson episode first, where he talks a bit about writing Dead Wake (I just love him), and this article was great – “As an avid urban explorer and closet loner, I use bookstores as landmarks on my self-guided weekend walking tours” – yes.
- Speaking of books, has anyone read anything by Wally Lamb? My friend at work was raving about how much she absolutely loves his writing, and she recommended She’s Come Undone…which is kind of funny because I remember seeing that in my parent’s room like, throughout my whole childhood (the cover is so recognizable), but I don’t know if either of them ever read it (have to ask).
- A New York recommendation – this week I grabbed drinks with my sister and a friend at Aldo Sohm Wine Bar in midtown, and it was SO good! The decor was cool and unique, and the rosé was soooo good. Highly recommend this place. It’s a bit tucked away and perhaps a hidden gem in the gastronomical wasteland that is midtown west.
- An art collection curated by Michelle Adams – so of course it’s great! Strongly considering purchasing this one…which someone has in their bathroom because I remember seeing it on Snapchat or Instagram and asking the person where it was from, but now I can’t remember who!
- Another piece of art I love, from an artist that Katie Armour recently featured – this is simple and lovely. It’s an original (not a print).
- I cannot WAIT to see this! I literally just teared up watching the one scene featured in the article. The book was so, so good and heartbreaking (my review of it here).
- Anybody out there a photographer or interested in photography? I’m upgrading my equipment and am torn between the Canon 6D and the 5D Mark III (probably going to go with the 6D), but also am contemplating a mirrorless Fuji for travel (lightweight but apparently still takes amazing photos). But, if I invest in a full-frame, would I be better off taking that for travel in order to get the best pictures possible? Any insights would be super appreciated!
photography by Jacqueline Clair